Wednesday, June 12, 2019

Obedient Heart and Feet

06.12.19.  Have you ever decided to sit and listen for God? Instead of doing all the talking, all the asking, all the telling Him about grievances, have you ever thought of sitting and listening for the voice?

Next question, how long did it take before your mind started darting around or you just stopped listening?

Most every morning, my busy mind cranks up and begins rolling like a self-propelled lawn mower almost as soon as my eyes open, even without the shot of caffeine. There's a chair in the living room where I love to curl my feet under me to read and journal, but I don't always get there. There's a rolling chair in the office where the morning sunshine spills on and I feel like the family pet absorbing its warmth while studying the Bible, but I don't always get there, either. There are so many places that are perfect for being still and being quiet, but I don't get there until late or never.

Honestly, sitting and listening for the voice of God is not my forte. I beg to hear His voice, but never close my mouth nor intentionally open my spirit for His promptings. If it's not my mind rushing around, it's my feet.

In today's devo in EMBRACED, Lysa TerKeurst shares about her own rushing past and missing opportunities for acting on God's instruction. She repents and He provides a do-over! 

Finding the perfect spot has little to do with hearing from God. The point is to be available and, then, obedient to partner with Him.

Sitting in the first row of chairs at church is where I sit, because they are available and mostly because I'm 5'3". One Sunday, I felt a prompting (a knowing) to stay put after the service. Instead of rushing off to talk to friends or rushing to a restaurant, I sat back down after the closing prayer. Hardly two minutes clicked off when one young lady approached for godly advice. Another faced me with tears and began pouring her heart into a crumpled Kleenex. In a matter of minutes, my obedient heart was full because I had been available for His purpose. Lysa calls this "companionship with God."

Each time I choose to listen and obey, my "spiritual ears" become familiar with the voice. Each time I choose to listen and obey, God must certainly line up opportunities to make me part of His plan. That's how I want to live!

Let's -you and me- decide to spend 5 minutes actively listening from now until Sunday to see how God wants to partner with us! 


No comments:

Post a Comment