Thursday, June 13, 2019

What's In My Hand?

06.13.19.  Every now and then, a girl must shake herself from the routine and ask, "What am I doing and why?"

In this morning's Day 13 EMBRACED devo, Lysa TerKeurst brings to the stage Mr. Shamgar, the maybe-farmer who "struck down" six hundred oppressors with a cattle prod. Say what? I must have zoned out while reading through that part of Judges, because either I glazed over it or read the account as just another win for God's team. How could another miracle ever become too familiar? Further proof I need a shake-me-up miracle of my own.

Check it for yourself in the Old Testament book of Judges Chapter 3. 

After reading through the devo, my insides were all jittery. Not like from too much caffeine on an empty stomach. More like anticipation at finally getting to unwrap the gift from that one person who totally gets you, because you know it will be the best gift ever! I wanted to dive right into ripping the paper off this best-ever gift with words and action.

But first, in Obedient Heart and Feet I challenged you to be still -without requests or grievances- for 5 minutes each day until Sunday listening for God's voice. I did it. I opened my journal to a blank page (just in case) and set the timer (because I'm lame). I knew there would be difficulty in actively listening if I were to be wordless (That reads like the most oxymoronic sentence). Multi-tasking is a strong suit. As I offered up words of praise and thankfulness, my spiritual ears were at-the-ready to catch His words of love and instruction sent down to my open spirit.

Did I hear the audible Voice? Nope. 
Did my hand begin to mysteriously scribble notes? Nope. 

Instead, an emotion of stillness seemed to settle around me... peace was accompanied by the sweetest knowing that I am loved by the Heavenly Father. 

Back to the shaking of myself, if being all that I am is living to make His name known, then I am living with impact. Every situation, every gathering, every encounter becomes His best gift to me by choosing me for the thing at-hand! My willingness qualifies me! Little ol' me in a little ol' town in Tennessee need only to look at what is in my little ol' hand to accomplish this extraordinary thing for today and the days to come. 

In my hand, today, there's a computer keyboard clicking out a blog about the living and loving God. There's a kitchen to prepare nourishment for which my family will thank the Lord for providing. There's an evening fitness class that will end with prayer for my friends -- whether or not they have a relationship with their adoring Creator who wonderfully made our bodies to move and be strong.

Tomorrow, there will be more opportunities to make His name known with impact. 

As Lysa asked in today's devo from Embraced: 100 Devotions to Know God is Holding You Close, I'll pose a question to you: Even if you feel small and unlikely, what's in your hand to accomplish extraordinary things in His name?

No comments:

Post a Comment