Sunday, June 2, 2019

The Pineapple Connection

06.02.19.  For a sometimes-blogger who would rather blog about recipes, I've already asked myself if I plan to post for 100 days. 

In case you missed it, you are invited to join me for #100DaysofSummer praying and listening to God as we read through Lysa TerKeurst's EMBRACED: 100 Devotions to Know God is Holding You Close.

Umm, as for posting for 100 days? That decision would be... 
Let's see... What's the right word?
Got it! 
That decision to post for 100 days would be crazy! 
C-R-A-Yto-theZ.

Maybe not crazy for Lysa TerKeurst and not crazy for you, but for me that's one big, crazy challenge and could even fall under the "Read to Fall Asleep" tab. <snore> What if not a single soul reads it? What would that have benefited? What if I skip posting for a day or more? What if I had made the ambitious decision to post 100 days after drinking too much caffeine? What if it were really God who planted the idea in my noggin?

The rain slapping the bedroom window woke me before the alarm, which yielded extra time, to read Day 2 devo before I was out the door to church. Grabbing a quick prayer for God to use Lysa's words and the scripture references to speak to my spirit, I dove into "The Pineapple Principle." When you get the book or listen to the audiobook for yourself, you'll understand the why for the chapter title. 

This is to be my year for cultivation. Cultivating business and ministry and fitness opportunities and relationships. Five months and two days into 2019, has been an amazing adventure by training for my first sprint triathlon, appropriately named First-TRI, and running The Flying Pig Half Marathon with Terry in Cincinnati which was an epic meet-up with Coach Jenny Hadfield and around 60 members and spouses of her online community known as The Challenge. I have spent time and energy to cultivate new classes for REFIT® and REV+FLOW in a new women's gym. In addition to working with Calcutta Mercy, Terry and I put our noses to ye olde grind stone to crank up the intensity with the ministry we quietly launched in 2016, to honor, encourage and connect with ministry and business leaders and their spouses. MVP Leadership Group is that 2016 dream-baby with the website launching June 5.

All of this cultivation is turning up the fallow ground for my own Pineapple (of a different variety) Principle: Authentic Connection.

My personality can be categorized as a Social-Introvert. Clinically, I'm sure it has a name. My friend, Cammy, suggests reading Susan Cain's book, Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World that Can't Stop Talking, where the author uses the term "socially poised introvert." For me, being 100% introvert 24/7/365 will never be possible due to being in the public, accompanying my hubby to minister in churches, loving people and leading fitness classes. All of which demands being socially connected. 

Many people I know want authenticity to lace fingers with connection and stroll easily down the boulevard. What causes my abs to tighten, is they desire this authentic connection for me in multiple small groups and in church. This intersection feels more like being in the crosshairs of a rifle! My question is why is this so important to them?

My family is pretty private. We have a small handful of friends who have been and remain confidants. We reciprocate. In the past, "living in authenticity" with a tribe was not safe and could be used -even twisted- against a ministry couple. As a result, my habit of privacy developed a tough skin around my spirit. People knew I was approachable because I wore a smile. They trusted I would not compromise their authenticity because I am proven to be safe and treat their authenticity with care. But in turn, I would not trust people enough to share my insides. Transparency is scary.

As I continue to experience others in authentic connection or authentic community, I feel it is important to be known and loved for who we are. This doesn't excuse bad behavior or sin. This connection is about trust and having the courage to be known and loved unconditionally. It's about letting others speak truth in an honest affection where exposure feels safe instead of compromising.

So, here's authentic me cutting away the pineapple skin just enough to connect with you, the reader. God has used my 2019 word, CULTIVATE, to open myself to others as did the early church in Acts 2:42. It's a process. I'm not exactly all in, but it's a start.

"They spent their time learning from the leaders, and they were like a caring family to each other. They shared meals, together, and prayed about all the things, together" (Acts 2:42 SAM translation).

By the way, the tough skin of a pineapple is actually called the epicarp. When that is opened, the tender, sweet insides are exposed to the ones who love. As for posting daily for 100 days, we'll see how that panned out in 98 days.

If you can relate, somehow, to any of this, please drop me a note, below. 

No comments:

Post a Comment