Tuesday, February 22, 2022

A Good Evening with Jesus


He knew the time had come to cover some topics with the guys, because there wouldn't be another opportunity and because He loved them to the end.


Their brief years, together, had been a whirlwind of travel and ministry and miracles. Bonds were strong. The kind of brotherly bonds that sitting around campfires, hiking long stretches of road and all-nighters will forge. This time, prior to Passover, supper time started differently. Both physically and symbolically, He washed their feet and explained the reasoning. Of course, this loving act was met with resistance.

He spoke of difficult times ahead when they would question their faith and even deny association with Him. Once again, their voices raised in defiance. They could not imagine ever being the one to turn their back on Him. Ever. He knew it would happen. It had to fulfill prophecy.

While they listened to Jesus, questions would pop out. In His own way, which seemed mostly as riddles, He answered them. He knew their anxiety was amping up and inserted, "Don't let your heart be troubled. Believe in God; believe also in me. In my Father's house are many rooms; if not I would have told you. I am going away to prepare a place for you. If I go away and prepare a place for you, I *will* come again and take you to myself, so that where I am you may be also" (John 14:1-3).

So many topics were covered, that evening, giving them a heads-up of what would happen in the next few days. Still, it was a good evening to be with Jesus.

~ "Sam"

No comments:

Post a Comment