Wednesday, June 26, 2019

In Wisdom's Time-Out

06.26.19.  Wisdom.


When I pray for His wisdom, it is imperative I know my own motivation. Is it to hoard wisdom? That's goofy. Is it for selfish pride? That's not godly. Wisdom of the Lord. Wisdom for the moment. Not to be the smartest person in the room, but to know His direction. To consult the Lord and know His thoughts and, then, act or speak or be still and quiet. Why do I pray for wisdom?
I need wisdom when I speak with people.I need wisdom when I make decisions. I need wisdom for ministry and work responsibilities. I need wisdom in the emotional moments when it would be easier for me to knee-jerk react. I need wisdom to know myself.


"...make your ear attentive to wisdom and incline your heart to understanding. If you call out for insight and raise your voice for understanding and if you search for it like silver and hidden treasures, THEN, you will have a reverent respect and trust in the Lord, because He gives wisdom and speaks knowledge for us to hear and treasure." (Proverbs 2:1-6 SAMtrans)

This weekend had been one day longer with friends, ministry and travel. Engaging and fun.
But, by yesterday, I woke up feeling tired and stiff. Eager to write and catch-up on posting my thoughts from the EMBRACED book, I started. There was plenty of time, but my head felt disconnected as if it didn't want to crank. After several attempts and coffee and prayer, I pushed my journal and computer aside. No sense of getting frustrated. Move on.

Am I the only one who needs wisdom to know when to push through or when to push aside without guilt or self-condemnation?

Not conscious of the wisdom of the moment, I made something to eat and rested my body and brain with a National Geographic Channel recording about the National Parks Service. In case you place to much attention on my viewing selection, know that's not what I'm driving at.

Sometimes, the wisest thing we can do is rest our body and mind. Why fight it when fatigue clearly is the victor? I would like to think that a residue of wisdom was clinging to the frontal lobe of my brain like a kind of spiritual lichen clinging to the northern side of a tree and, causing me to wisely retreat to the couch for a couple of hours. 

After learning about the birth of the parks service and a couple more episodes of the diverse beauty in our National Parks, I found my feet and brain and moved with more clarity. Wisdom had set me down and propped me up in a much needed time-out.

Notes from Lysa TerKeurst and my missing EMBRACED posts:

How am I spending my soul?
It's good to use wisdom and knowledge and an understanding of your resource capacity to access your decisions. (This "resource capacity" dealio, by the way, is brilliant!)
Not every opportunity was meant to be my assignment. (Yes! Sam, pay attention!)

Her thoughts on wisdom were setting me up for me to make a wise choice.

Learning about myself has been this month's reading focus using The Road Back to You: An
Enneagram Journey to Self-Discovery. If you have not read the book, I encourage you to put it on your list and study it, soon. If you have explored the book, then you are cued to just how wonderfully we've been created! For those interested, I'm either a 7 Wing 8 or an 8 Wing 7. Yep, my motor runs hot... until it doesn't and I need to engage that part of wisdom that instructs me to rest.


We have opportunities every single day to let wisdom guide us, if we ask, listen and obey.

No comments:

Post a Comment