Tuesday, June 4, 2019

Grace: Tolerance or Love?

06.04.19.  I confess I don't find all scripture uplifting.

Leviticus, Numbers and Deuteronomy are the reasons my goal for reading through the year isn't well, yearly. The other reason is the Children of Israel frustrate me. Why couldn't they just remember all the amazing feats God provided? Miracle after miracle! Why did they keep messing up? 

I would much rather read practical Christianity tips in Ephesians and Romans. But, I chose for this year to be a read-through year and I'm in Judges. <sigh>

Pushing myself through these scriptures, I hear an annoying sound that reaches through to my brain making its way to my one, last nerve and bounces on it. It sounded like someone trying to start their car, but it just won't crank. It keeps on and on and on. 

mee-mee-mee-mee-me.  mee-mee-mee-mee-me.  mee-mee-mee-mee-me.

I look around to see if my neighbor is having car issues. Nothing. The sound stops. I turn back to the nagging failures of the tribes of Israel. 

mee-mee-mee-mee-me.  mee-mee-mee-mee-me.  mee-mee-mee-mee-me.

Once again, I look around for the irritating source. And, once again, the sounds stops.

Off and on for a couple of hours this noise filters through my focus as I work on the computer until focus cracks and I whip around to seek and destroy ...only to see absolutely nothing.

In Day 4 of Lysa TerKeurst's EMBRACE book of 100 devos, she writes about her quiet time with God each morning as a preparation and an invitation. This time spent with Him prepares her for the day at the invitation of Jesus "to do life with Him" and "to look for His activity" throughout the day as she redirects frustration to replace it with grace.

Grace looks like God's tolerance to me. I roll my eyes each time a verse begins with "The Israelites again did what was evil in the Lord's sight." He could have crushed them into the
sand they wandered around and complained in for 40 years. But, He did not, because they were His chosen children. With all the moaning and disobedience, He still chose them.

Grace looks like love to God. With all the moaning and disobedience, He still chose to love them and wanted them to choose Him. 

He still chooses to look at me with those same eyes of grace and love when I am frustrating and disobedient. My soul is deeply thankful Jesus is the rose-colored filter covering my sin and shame. 


"Before the world was created, God had Christ choose us to live with Him and to be His holy and innocent and loving people. God was loving and kind and decided that Christ would choose us to be God's own adopted children. God was very kind to us because of the Son He dearly loves and so we should praise God." (Ephesians 1:4-6 CEV)

My hubby walked into the office about the same time I caught sight of a gigantic fly buzz in and circle around the office. Once I saw him, I knew the source of my frustrating noise, but it flew out the door before it could be silenced forever. 

If you need God to look at you through eyes of grace, I would love to invite to you consider a relationship with His Son, Jesus. If you have already experienced this love, say so, below.

No comments:

Post a Comment