Monday, August 19, 2019

100 Days of Summer 74-80/100

08.19.19. I love a fresh start. I even love Mondays. I know. Weird. On Mondays, there's the opportunity to start anew feeling energized. I love a do-over. Growing up, I played church volleyball. If you had any kind of accurate serve, your team was pretty much assured a win. But, if you missed and the ball went wonky or got caught in the net, you got a do-over! I loved church league volleyball for that little grace!

It's Monday morning. Remember, I love Mondays, but today, feels like it's on the brink of doom, like when there's a major fault in a dam and the little town, below, has been evacuated. I feel like my insides are on alert with a spinning red emergency light to that ear-piercing siren honk-blasting the warning. 


Just like the rings of the famous Olympic symbol, everything about us is interconnected with one part effecting the other parts -- body, mind, heart and soul, inside to outside. If one is weakened, the others will feel the need. 

So, I take a quick inventory.

Am I worried? [the mind] There's plenty to be anxious about. But can I actually change one of them by allowing my mind to brew in a vat of worry? No. If I were to make a list of the Top 10... naw, let's go lesser... Top 3 Worries, I may be able to alleviate them in a practical method, but ultimately God's got my back. He isn't surprised and He works on my behalf so that I can keep moving forward.

How's my soul? [the soul] A soul weakened by neglect or hunger can topple the entire structure of body, mind and heart. But, I've been nourishing my soul with scripture and praise music and prayer, both privately and with others. My soul is full and spiritually strong.

Am I tired? [the body] It's been an engaging weekend with a physically exhausting week prior. Some time back in one of the previous 79 devotions in the Embraced book, Lysa TerKeurst acknowledges her own fatigue overlapping into her emotions: A depleted girl can quickly become a defeated girl when she lets emotions dictate her reactions. 

Am I broken-hearted? [the heart/emotions] Aha. Ouchies. Found it. For me, today, this one tends to sit on the curb slack shouldered and teary. This is the culprit that catches in my throat prompting me to ask Why. This is the reason I want to quit everything and run from the crushing pain isolating my broken heart from anything or anyone who intentionally or unknowingly caused the injury. What do ya know, there was a crack in the dam and my eyes are leaking.

Like that little dark cloud raining above a cartoon character's head everywhere he goes, the sadness will hang around. I can't speed off away from it thinking it'll remain in the dust I just left. Nope. That's stinkin' thinkin'. 


It's time to take sound action to acknowledge the hurt [the mind], to pull back from the busyness into a quiet comfortable place for as much time as I need to let all my parts gather in rest [the body] to let being in God's presence [the soul] begin mending my brokenness [the heart].

I won't let this crushing feeling choke my energy by tangling up my thoughts. I choose to trust God.

It make take awhile. And, in the middle of my heartache it may feel like God's not around. But, I will hang my hope in His peace because His love is constant as the sun and His faithfulness is everlasting. This is what I trust. This is where I will find healing. 


"All the paths of the Lord are lovingkindness and goodness and truth and faithfulness to those who keep His covenant and His testimony." (Psalm 25:10)
"The Lord is near to the brokenhearted and He rescues those whose spirits are crushed." (Psalm 34:18)
This is the embrace.

No comments:

Post a Comment