Monday, July 8, 2019

Raise Your Gaze

07.07.19.  When Terry and I extended our running mileage from three miles to five miles, there was a specific course we would use to keep the workout interesting. It's nothing special and it's not the course we are eager to get to. The noise of the traffic beside us is too loud for music and the exhaust fumes can be sucked in when we are sucking at the air for oxygen.

The real reason we use this out-and-back sidewalk course is for the hills, hills and more hills. Oh and hill repeats. Were you aware there are rolling hills in Tennessee?

Running on a flat track is perfectly fine for an easier run or for when the weather is not cooperating for longer mileage. Simply put, a flat course adds mileage, but doesn't build endurance. Running hills tests the runner's training, requires the runner to make adjustments as she climbs and challenges the runner to lift her gaze to the unchanging focal point as she moves forward to the top.

As a newbie runner back in the spring of 2013, I had no desire to complete a full marathon. That's 26.2 miles of torture! My body did not know 26.2 miles, because it had trained only for the three miles. My mind could not comprehend what longer distances would feel like, because I had trained for the short distances only. Initially, to run farther meant spending more time while feeling weak and winded. There was no motivation inside of me to pursue anything other than what I was doing. That was until after the first race I experienced where the crowd encourages every runner to the finish. As soon as my foot crossed over that magic line, something inside of me awakened to challenge. I knew my training would take on an intentionality for something more difficult.
Running in the White Tank Mountains

Training strengthens the body. The discipline of longer distances more frequently, the addition of core and weight-bearing exercises, and changes to my nutrition were part of the new training. I found a coach who knew how to care and call out. I studied form of known distance runners. I researched equipment and the elevation of my next race.

But my hip joints hurt. My kneecap felt like it was warbling with a sensation near pain. After a quick evaluation, the physical therapist, a runner, immediately recognized what this newbie runner did not. I thought it was a joke and quickly scanned the room for a hidden camera when he gave me the diagnosis.

"Runner's Butt. You have Runner's Butt." To any girl, this sounds like a win! But, no. It's a symptom of weakness. In fact, the warbling kneecap was further confirmation that my hips were weak. He prescribed simple exercises to be repeated at daily intervals. In a few weeks, the exercises proved successful. 

Adjustments must be made during the ascent. Running on a flat course is one foot in front of the other. Pick 'em up. Put 'em down. Keep breathing. There is more to it, but if a person can move in an upright position, she can do a flat course. It is when the incline under her feet begins to rise, the same muscles are called on to engage differently.

Not only had the PT discovered my weak hips, he explained the need to engage muscles differently for the difficulty. It seems my short body is built for endurance. Since those thighs I have detested since puberty are quite strong, it was only natural that I engaged them while running uphill. However, the proper muscle group to engage for climbing hills is the set I sit upon. The glutes! They stabilize and power the movement up with shorter steps. By strengthening and engaging, the adjustments are learned to carry the runner up and over the hill. 

Raise your gaze. There is another technique the runner must employ for running hills:
head up - eyes up. The running coach I continue to ask for wisdom taught me this lesson. The top of a hill does not change. Since we run to where our eyes are focused, it makes sense to keep our eyes fixed on the top of the hill instead of on the road and on our feet during the arduous climb. By lifting our head, even slightly, our capacity for oxygen-rich air increases by lengthening the torso to take in more air, because our lungs are not in a squished position.

You're ahead of me and have paced the running lessons to our spiritual lives. I knew you would! Let's review.

In this life trials will rise up making our journey difficult, but not impossible. As we dig into the Word of Truth (the Bible) and look to spending time in relationship with God -the God of the impossible, He will help strengthen our spirit and teach us how to engage the truths found in the Word. The truth like this one found in Psalm 121:


"I will lift my eyes to the hills. Where does my help come from? My help (and strength and breath) comes from the Lord, who made the heavens and earth. He, who does not sleep, will not let your foot fall (or fail)."

I encourage you to read this tiny chapter with its eight power-packed verses for yourself, this evening. Are you ready to get up earlier or abandon stupid tv shows opting for time spent with God?

Raise your gaze, my friend. It is time to be intentional with your training.

No comments:

Post a Comment