Thursday, July 11, 2019

Oh Well Days

07.11.19.  The past two days have been Oh Well days. Today is sizing up as another.

Oh well.

It's not for a lack of faith nor for a lack of motivation that I don't resolve to seize the day with my usual zeal. My faith is still in tack. My "want to" is simmering just below the dark circles under my watery eyes. I've succumbed to my humanity...I have a cough, laryngitis and overall feeling of weakness. 

Another day chalked up to "Oh well, I gave it a shot. I'll feel better, tomorrow."

So, I cancel fitness classes, let the laundry stay in the dryer, pray, read, rest, and watch historical stories on Netflix until sleep claims me, once again. 

Remember those books called Chicken Soup for the Soul? Each story warmed your heart and lifted your spirit like the chicken noodle soup my hubby brought home from Chick-fil-A, last night. That's how I feel about the last couple of EMBRACED devos where Lysa TerKeurst serves biblical principles with personal experiences.

Because my noggin feels off-kilter and the pillow is calling through a fog slowly rolling in, I feel the need to quickly pass along some truth sparked from these daily devotions.





Celebrate small daily victories. Like battles won in a war, each victory is claiming ground for the territory of our souls. When we practice 2 Peter 1:5-9, we are strengthening our faith. How so? We add to or supplement our faith with things that we can work on, like choosing to do the right thing because it's the right thing (morals). Exercising self-control over whatever tends to trip us, builds our spiritual faith muscle. We are overcomers and our lives are a living testimony of God's mercy, grace and strength. People notice and are drawn to an overcoming life! 

Change the way you think. In Romans 12:1-2, we are encouraged to renew our process of living by renewing our minds. Actively engaging God's best as truth, by default we are automatically replacing negative thought patterns and defeating lies. It's like filling up on something so nourishingly fresh so that there is no room for the old, stale stuff. Keep returning to the table and your very taste changes for that fresh flavor. Our minds are transformed to recognize and respond to His truth. What is that truth? The last line of Romans 8:38-39 encapsulates it: nothing will be able to separate us from the love of God that is revealed in Jesus Christ our Lord.

Do you see how one fuels the other? We feed our minds on God's best stuff and, then, live it out victoriously and, then, celebrate with a grateful heart bringing us back to the feast, again! 

So, while today may be another Oh, Well day for my body, I'm filling up and getting stronger in my soul!

No comments:

Post a Comment