Tuesday, September 4, 2012

2-on-Tuesday: Dirty Rice

When my mother, Mary, makes Dirty Rice, she usually stuffs it into green bell peppers (one for each person), sets in a casserole dish and bakes with melted cheese on top. As a child I thought it looked so elegant, but would only eat the rice. I know better, now! Usually ground chicken gizzards are used to prepare this dish, but I've never like the liver taste; therefore I substitute another pound of beef, deer (venison), chicken or pork. I guess if you're a squirrel hunter, you could use squirrel meat.

1 lb         Chicken Gizzards, ground   **NOPE** Use 1 lb of something.
1 lb         Ground Beef or Pork
1/3 cup Oil
1 cup      Onions, chopped
1/2 cup Green (& Red) Bell Pepper, chopped
1/4 cup Celery, chopped
S&P, to taste
4 cups   Cooked Rice, your choice of color or flavor
  • Brown both ground meats in oil in a heavy pot
  • When browned well, add chopped onions, bell peppers and celery
  • Season to taste & cook together over medium heat for 20 minutes
  • Add cooked rice, mix well and simmer for 10 minutes
It would be at this point when Momma stuffs the peppers, tops with cheese and melts under a quick broiler. For me Dirty Rice is a meal in itself, but some prefer it as a side to fried chicken. Enjoy!

~"Sam"
Next Tuesday's post: HIGH-LOW!

No comments:

Post a Comment