Tuesday, June 25, 2013

2-on-Tuesday: Savory Idunno Pie

Since eating mostly vegetarian from December 2012, I've not been as creative in this new
genre of cooking as I would like to be. One reason is I'm not as familiar with which non-plant-based ingredients can be substituted for plant-based food items AND how they work together. I would liken this immersion to being in another country and having to learn the language. 

It's taken me this long to have the nerve to step out and create this first recipe which is something like a quiche and something like a savory cheesecake. Until an educated foodie tells me what it is, I'm sticking with "Idunno" because I dunno what to call it!

The top layer is a light and creamy blend of tofu, almond milk, "nooch" (Nutritional Yeast), cornstarch and seasonings. I was scared it would not set like I wanted, so I added a whole egg. Next time, I'll eliminate the egg. The bottom layer is a dry-sauté of veggies, stems and greens. During the baking time, steam must have developed under the top tofu layer, because their was an unusual amount of liquid. I'm not quite sure how to prevent it. I may stir in some cornstarch with the veggies before topping it with the tofu mixture, next time. Suggestions?

No beets were harmed in this recipe. I used only the stems and greens! However, I saved the beets for another recipe!

Taste? I loved the textures! The top set up perfectly. It needed some extra flavor, possibly some onion powder and some fresh Thyme. The bottom veggie layer was yummy, too! My hubby said it could use some more salt and, perhaps, grilled portobello mushrooms. I like the way he thinks!

Savory Idunno Pie

1-2 large Carrots, diced
1 medium Onion, diced
1 Celery stalk, diced
Beet Stems from 2-3 large beets, diced & carefully cut from the leaves
-------
9-12 oz Baby Spinach 
Greens from Beets
4 cloves Garlic, coarsely minced

  • Dry-Sauté the first 4 ingredients until tender adding only a splash of water enough to keep the veggies from sticking to the pan.
  • Add the next 3 ingredients and continue to dry-sauté until greens wilt; apprx 5 mins.
  • Set aside.

In the food processor, add the following:

1 (14 oz) pkg Tofu Extra Firm, drained
1 tablespoon Cornstarch, heaped
1/2 cup Nutritional Yeast (Nooch)
1/2 cup Almond Milk
1/4 cup Cashews, toasted **optional
1/4 teaspoon Nutmeg
Red Pepper Flakes, to taste
1 Egg
*1+ teaspoon Onion Powder?
 Thyme, perhaps 2 tablespoons?
S&P, to taste

  • In deep pie dish or oven-proof skillet, spoon veggies into dish and, then, spread tofu mixture over veggies.
  • I sprinkled with freshly grated pepper.
  • Bake uncovered 30 minutes or until center is set and no longer jiggly.
  • Let set for 10-ish minutes before serving.
Let me know your suggestions and spins ...or even what this dish really is!?!

No comments:

Post a Comment