Sunday, January 19, 2014

Smiling at 50: Training Week 1


I did it! I completed week 1 of training for a 10K using Coach Jenny Hadfield's FREE Training Plan! HA! That read like a commercial. This plan employs a clock rather than odometer. I ran for 5 minutes and walked for 1 minute to recover breathing repeating for a total of 7 times.

Presuming a weekly post like the following would be boring for others to read and as triumph yields to monotony, I'll break it down, this once:

Sunday: Rest

Monday: 
4.25m (48:31) 11:24 pace per mile
I felt excited and focused on time rather mileage. Before I realized it, I was at 4 miles! That evening I joined friends for Zumba as cross-training.

Tuesday: 
4.35m (48:53) 11:14 pace per mile
It was super cold. But, I shimmied into my cold gear and did it. Again, another evening for some cross-training Zumba! Afterwards, we celebrated a year with our instructor, Michelle, for being brave and starting the class! I'm thankful for her and the cardio fitness, for it has made my body stronger to be able to attempt a 10K.

Wednesday: Rest

Thursday: 
5m + a few more feet (1:00:46) apprx 11:11 pace per mile! 
The day of rest was good for my legs! I felt strong and recovered quicker during the 1min walk and decided when mile 5 was approaching, I'd push the time of running 1 minute and recovering 1 minute.
The app on my phone went wonky during mile 4 and logged a 7 minute mile. HA! There's no way. Good thing I was on a mile-long track. I did pause the app for a quick pic of the ice in a frozen puddle.

Friday: 
With 85 days until the 10K, I chose to go at an easy pace during 45 minutes of Zumba and added about 15-20 minutes of strength training.


Dianne, Arvetta, me & Pam
(Mike snapped the pic)
Saturday: 
Instead of running the training plan, I ran with some members of 'Boro Divas & Dudes Running & Cycling group in Murfreesboro, TN for 3.5m (48-ish mins). This was the first time for me to run with a group. I was nervous, but they made me feel at ease. In an effort to bring awareness to road safety for walkers, runners and cyclist, we joined others around the USA putting one step in front of the other in memory of #megsmiles, a young mom who was killed while out on a run, this week. Talking while running wasn't something I've ever done. We talked about the motivations, events, issues and Meg's family. Afterwards, I came up with "When you see us on the street, give us 3 feet." Cheesy? Perhaps, but it's the law in Tennessee.


It's Sunday. 
I've officially registered for the Purity Dairies Moosic City Dairy Dash 10K on April 12, 2014, in Nashville, TN. Now, I'm nervous. This is real.

83 days to the 10K.


No comments:

Post a Comment