Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Tuesday Recipe: Protein Power Balls

Want a go-to, no-bake, pick-me-up, tie-me-over snack? Great! 

If you're into nut butters like peanut, sunflower, almond, cashew, you are so gonna love the simplicity of this recipe. 

If you're a runner, walker or fitness person looking for another way to get some protein in your system without breaking the caloric or fat bank, you are gonna love the power of this recipe.

If you're a whole food grazer who likes the ingredient-control of a homemade treat, you are gonna love the nutrition of this recipe.

Are ya sold, yet?

One of my church friends, Amanda G, found this recipe on a Canadian foodie blog and brought out the power balls during intermission of our Bunco Nite. I had arrived at her house immediately after my sweaty, heart-pumping fitness class when I needed some umph to keep me energized for our fun night. I was super excited to try 'em!

Once you've got the basic recipe down, let your creative juices go crazy with substitutions!

Protein Power Balls

1 cup Rolled Oats (not the quick-cooking variety)
1/2 cup Peanut Butter (or your fave nut butter)
1/3 cup Honey (or to make it vegan, sub-in a agave syrup or the like)
1/2 cup Ground Flax Seed (I take whole flax seeds and grind them in my coffee grinder)
1/4 to 1/2 cup Chocolate Chips (craisins, raisins, chopped nuts, coconut, etc.)
1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
(optional: 1 pinch of salt)

  • Combine all ingredients, together, in large bowl and mix well.
  • Chill in fridge for 10-15 mins OR, if you're in a hurry, skip this step.**
  • Pinch enough batter to roll into a ball between your palms OR use a 1"-2" scoop (pictured) and place power balls on a large baking sheet lined with parchment or wax paper.
  • Let chill until ready to serve OR until set enough to transfer into a lidded container to store in fridge until whenever you wanna pop a power ball into your mouth!
Play with your food!

No comments:

Post a Comment