Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Tuesday Recipe: White Bean and Vegetable Barley Soup

In that weird transition from winter to spring when the temp bounces and weather systems fight like toddlers over the same space and toy, I felt it was still ok to go for soup as a "souper" fast fix for supper using what was already in my pantry. I happened to have everything to make this wonderfully healthy soup and served it with a slab of cornbread! The house always smells so good when cornbread is baking!

White Bean and Vegetable Barley Soup
(eMeals.com subscription - slightly revised)

1 (32 oz) container box Vegetable Broth
1 (15 oz) can Cannellini Beans, drained & rinsed
1 bag frozen Mixed Vegetables (with carrots and green beans)
1/2 cup Quick-cooking Barley (I used Quaker brand.)
1 fistful fresh Baby Spinach
S&P, to taste
(optional: 1 can Rotel Tomatoes and Green Chilies - Mild (I used a generic brand.)

  • Combine broth, drained & rinsed beans and frozen mixed veggies in pot and cover and bring to boil.
  • Stir in barley and baby spinach, reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
  • Voila! You're done!

Unless...
  • If you prefer a spicier kick - as with my hubby for the second meal with this soup - add the Rotel! Heat to boil for 10 minutes OR simply add it with the mixed veggies!
  • Voila, again! Enjoy!

Play with your food!


A few years ago while looking for new vegetarian & flexitarian & vegan recipes, a couple friends suggested I look into an emeals subscription. As it turned out, GroupOn was running a special, too! I selected my choices of meal subscription and how many people I would be serving in my family. The weekly meal planner divides meal offerings with a grocery list! All of which can be saved and printed to place in a binder! Even Dave Ramsey thinks emeals is a "no brainer!"

No comments:

Post a Comment