Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Priorities (Fourth Priority, Series Conclusion)

It's taken a couple of extra months to come around to the series conclusion of Priorities. Interestingly the reasons for its delayed post helps to solidify the structure.

1. God
2. Family
3. Ministry / Career
4. Myself

Here's the deal: If you or I do not take the initiative to care for ourselves, we will not have the time, desire, energy or health to focus on the first three priorities. Remember that LIFE HAPPENS beyond our control and, most of the time, takes us by surprise. Having your set of priorities firmly fixed will allow for bending, but not breaking. The following are some of my objectives:


  • I’ve decided not to copy someone, but to learn from them.
  • Striving for perfection leaves one emotionally and physically drained.
  • I’ve learned that not many enjoy being around an insecure person who constantly shoves the baggage from her past into their laps.
  • A positive attitude is vital! It keeps my eyes sparkling. It keeps me smiling. It’s a great witness for Christ…even to Christians.
  • I am the only one who will take care of my body. I want to feel my best.
  • I have interests and hobbies, outside the ministry and/or career, where I can refresh.
Jesus knew the necessity of rest and relaxation.
“Come ye yourselves apart into a desert place, and rest a while.”
(Mark 6:31 KJV)
Why we must “come apart” or we will “fall apart”:
Rest, Reflect, Develop Perspective, Renew and Think.
~Maury Davis

  • I continue to grow. I read. I study. I observe. I listen to those who have years of experience. I attempt that which doesn’t always feel comfortable at the time. 
  • Colossians 3:23 “Work hard and cheerfully at whatever you do; as though you were working for the Lord instead of people. (NLT).

Do all the good you can
By all the means you can
In all the ways you can
In all the places you can
At all the times you can
To all the people you can
As long as ever you can
 ~John Wesley

Whenever I sense internal markers which are at conflict or a decision seems difficult to settle, I pull back and examine myself within the lines of my priorities. Additionally, I pray for peace. Remember the story at the beginning of this series? Re-constructing my priorities afforded peace. I could then relax in letting God be the bedrock holding me firm. Sure, strong winds may blow a challenge against my building blocks. However, decisions based on these priorities are secure and we will receive our reward from our living, loving Heavenly Father.

I invite your own observations. If you choose to keep it private, click here for my email.

No comments:

Post a Comment