Tuesday, July 9, 2013

2-on-Tuesday: Summer Vegetable Soup

Been craving a one-pot that doesn't set heavy, but is bright with the fresh flavors of a summer garden? Me, too! Thanks to Forks Over Knives...SOUP'S ON!



Summer Vegetable Soup

1 large Yellow Onion, peeled and chopped
4 cloves Garlic, peeled and minced
6 medium ripe Tomatoes, chopped
2 medium Zucchini, diced
1 Yellow Squash, diced (sometimes called Summer Squash)
3 ears Corn, kernels removed (about 2 cups. I like more than this!)
6 cups Vegetable Stock
1/2 cup Basil, finely chopped
optional: Zest and juice of 1 Lemon
optional: New Potatoes (I had 3 needing to be cooked before they went soft.)
optional: Carrots (I just have to play with my food. ;})
S&P, to taste

  • Place the chopped onion in a medium saucepan and dry-sauté over medium for 7 to 8 minutes adding a splash of water to keep the onions from sticking to the pan.
  • Add garlic and sauté another minute.
  • Add tomatoes and cook for 10 minutes or until they start to break down slightly.
  • Add the zucchini, yellow squash, corn and vegetable stock and bring to boil over high heat, reduce the heat to medium and cook until the vegetables are tender, about 15 minutes.
  • Add basil and S&P.

My tomatoes were not ripe enough, so I used what was in the cupboard: Home-Canned, Stewed Tomatoes and Tomato Sauce. Be careful when cutting corn off of the cob! I think a mandoline might be quicker, but I used my sharp knife, which worked just fine, albeit a tad messy.


To finely chop the basil from my own plants, I snipped the stems with large leaves from the plant, washed and pat dry. Then, I stacked 4-5 leaves on top of another, rolled from the stem end toward the leaf point end and sliced. If left the basil in thin slices at this point, the technique may be called julienne. To finely chop, turn the slices and chop through making them smaller bits. 

I served with a dark, whole grain roll. The soup is just as lovely the next day when I added cooked quinoa to my bowl for some extra protein and texture!

~"Sam"

No comments:

Post a Comment