Tuesday, October 8, 2013

2-on-Tuesday: Veggie Skillet Hash

Do you have those bins of potatoes and onions if not used, today, they'll need to be tossed
by the weekend? Veggies that have gone past their peak of freshness, but are still good to cook with, can be used in stews, soups or roasted.

I poured over my Forks Over Knives cookbook to find anything to include my softening veggies and found Vegetable White Bean Hash on page 182! Don't have all the ingredients? No problem! Improvise...and rename so #FOK knows you tried, but were being budget-conscious!

Veggie Skillet Hash

1 large Onion, diced
1 Red Bell Pepper, diced
3 (or more) cloves Garlic, minced
1 tablespoon fresh Rosemary leaves, chopped
1 tablespoon fresh Thyme leaves
5-6 Red Skin Potatoes, diced
1 medium Sweet Potato, diced
1 (15 oz) can Cannellini Beans (a.k.a. White Kidney Beans), drained & rinsed
2 cups Kale, coarse chopped
S&P, to taste
Red Pepper Flakes
  • I used my big, black, cast-iron skillet to slowly sauté the onion and red bell pepper over medium heat adding a splash of water to keep veggies from sticking. Confession: I used a splash of olive oil, too, for fear the taters would stick and scorch, later.
  • Add the garlic, herbs, diced potatoes and rinsed beans to cook nice a slowly until taters are fork-tender, apprx 15-20 minutes. Don't rush this!
  • Add kale and seasonings. Continue to cook for about 5 minutes until the kale wilts. 
There ya have it - a skillet full of protein & carbs! Serve as a side or a main dish. I'm a Southern Girl, so this went nicely with a slice of yellow cornbread! This would absolutely be incredible substituting pumpkin or butternut squash in the place of either of the potatoes for an AUTUMNAL SKILLET HASH! (See how I cleverly renamed the recipe, again? Very kitchen-ninja-esque, wouldn't you agree?)

Note...my hubby felt it was a little dry. He prefers beans to have juice, especially if he can't have the meat. I added a can of diced tomatoes and let it simmer. If using a cast-iron skillet, the acid in the tomatoes absorbs the iron giving you a nutritional bump.

2 comments:

  1. Holy freaking cow. I made this tonight and it is was so delicious! I decided to use butternut squash in place of the red potatoes...and I also added a can of fire roasted tomatoes for that extra juiciness. Really delicious! I will definitely make this again. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE THIS KITCHEN-NINJA EDIT: Fire Roasted Toms! Holy Freaking Cow, indeed!

      Delete