Tuesday, February 4, 2014

2-on-Tuesday: Roasted Tomato & Cannellini Bean Pasta

When I started my mostly-plant-based journey in December 2012, I leaned heavily on the Forks Over Knives cookbook to learn the proverbial ropes of the vegetarian culinary world. It introduced me to the realization there are basically no rules to plant-based nutrition! Today's recipe is one such...beans with pasta! My mom would never have considered the pair in the same dish. And, because she would never, nor would I...EVER...until Forks Over Knives and a multitude of great blogs I follow of vegetarian and vegan everyday cooks!

If you're attempting to cut back on animal protein and cholesterol, consider beans as one of many options to get phyto-protein (plant-based protein). Being budget-conscious, I made slight edits to the online recipe due to what I was already in my pantry.

Roasted Tomato & Cannellini Bean Pasta
by Heather McDougall

1/2 lb Whole Wheat Spaghetti (I mixed both whole wheat with semolina to equal the 1/2 lb)
2 tablespoons of vegetable stock or water (this is for the technique known as dry sauté)
6-8 cloves Garlic, chopped
1 15 oz can Cannellini Beans, rinsed
2 15 oz cans Diced Roasted Tomatoes (I used plain the first time, I made the recipe. Later, I found the can of roasted tomatoes!)
S&P, to taste
**optional: Red Pepper Flakes, to taste
**optional: Nutritional Yeast "nooch"

  • Prepare pasta according to directions.
  • In skillet, sauté garlic in veggie stock or water carefully watching so as not to scorch the garlic.
  • Stir-in tomatoes and rinsed beans simmering for 20 minutes.
  • Season to taste, sprinkle with nooch & serve!

Just about one of the easiest and fastest nutritious meals to pull-off!

No comments:

Post a Comment