For me, Psalm 33
best frames the day!
The schedule has permitted me to get cookin', again! And, I felt creative! And, it's easy! And, it's ROBUST.with.FLAVOR! Don't wig if you or your family shuns the very idea of tofu, because you can always substitute with the cooked & diced meat of your choice. You don't have to serve over Basmati Rice or Quinoa, but it's just way more fun!
For this dish, I utilized the Chinese Brown Sauce (see below) from Forks Over Knives and punched it up just notch with orange juice and extra garlic! Then, doubled the recipe to have plenty to use for the cooking process! Get creative and change up ingredients to what your taste prefers.
EARTH DAY STIR FRY
(or Broccoli, Carrots & Tofu Stir Fry)
1 bunch Broccoli, remove from main stems
2-3 large Carrots, shaved or sliced thin
2 Onions, thick sliced
1 Orange Bell Pepper, cut into big chunks
2-4 tablespoons Grated Ginger or Ginger Paste (bottled or grate your own using a box grater)
4-8 cloves Garlic, minced (or purchase the jar stuff and think in terms of tablespoons)
1 block Extra Firm or Super Firm Tofu (drained and pressed to remove liquid, then cube) -OR-
1 package Extra Firm or Super Firm Tofu "Cubed" (drained)
Red Pepper Flakes or Sriracha Sauce
Olive Oil or Coconut Oil
Chinese Brown Sauce (too easy to make!)
Salt, to taste
**Optional: Garnish with spring green onions, a sprinkle of chia seeds or sesame seeds
- Make Chinese Brown Sauce, first. (see recipe below)
- Cube tofu or cooked meat and stir-in a generous helping of Chinese Brown Sauce, extra garlic and extra ginger paste and let set to marinate for 1 minute to 1 hour.
- If serving with Basmati Rice or Quinoa, go ahead and prepare.
- Prep veggies while oil heats over medium heat in large skillet.
- When oil is ready, empty the marinated tofu/meat into skillet. Occasionally stir this mixture around to make sure it doesn't scorch. Add more sauce, if needed. The marinade will reduce to cover the tofu/meat.
- When the marinade has reduced and the tofu/meat looks sufficiently covered, remove from skillet to a temporary plate and add a smidge more oil to skillet.
- Toss the cut veggies (broc, carrots, onions, bell pepper) and red pepper flakes into oil and cook until desired tenderness! This part goes really fast and, then, add tofu/meat back into skillet with veggies adding more sauce, if needed!
- Serve with or without Basmati Rice or Quinoa.
(Forks Over Knives, pg 35...I've subbed in Molasses & Corn Starch)
1/3 cup Low-sodium Soy Sauce
1/3 cup Vegetable Stock
1/4 cup Molasses
1 tablespoon Grated Ginger (or ginger paste)
2 cloves Garlic, peeled & minced
1-2 teaspoons (or more) Corn Starch, dissolved in cold orange juice (water or pineapple juice would work, too)
Combine all ingredients in a medium saucepan and cook over medium heat until thickened. If there are any left-overs, serve with meal or store refrigerated in airtight container!