Thursday, April 24, 2014

Oatmeal Pancake


When I first started on my journey to a healthy lifestyle, nutrition had to be re-thought. I can cook fat foods like any good Southern girl, but had to learn to prepare fit foods. One of my lifelines in the early days was Lynda Layng who IS the Healthy Hoboken Girl and this is her Oatmeal Pancake recipe!

Oatmeal Pancake

1 Banana (halved)
1 Egg (or eliminate egg, see below)
1/2 cup (or more!) Old Fashioned Oats 
1/2 teaspoon Baking Powder
1/2 to 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
  • While griddle or skillet is heating, smoosh 1/2 of the banana in a bowl and stir-in the fork-whisked egg; then, whisk together.
  • Add oats, baking powder and cinnamon and combine. Let set for 5+ minutes. It gets a little frothy to let you know the baking powder is doing its job to help make the pancake fluffy!
  • "Grease" your griddle. I use coconut oil as a good fat!
  • Pour your pancake mixture into hot griddle/skillet and smooth into pancake shape.
  • Let cook for 4-ish minutes and test the underside to see if it can handle being flipped over with the spatula.
  • When pancake is ready, flip and brown.
  • Serve with the other 1/2 of the banana sliced on top! 

TIPS:
**Sure, any old cinnamon will do, but I have recently discovered Saigon Cinnamon! Holy Cow! There's a difference! Plus, I did not list it, but I always use 1/2 teaspoon of Nutmeg, too.
**The egg adds moisture, loft and serves as a binder. BUT, if you want to eliminate the egg, a friend suggested using 1 to 2 tablespoons of water, 1 teaspoon of oil whisked together with double the amount (in this case, 1 teaspoon) of baking powder. OR, just try (double the amount) 1 teaspoon of baking powder whisked with the banana.
**I like my oatmeal pancake drizzled with Agave Syrup or Honey instead of Maple Syrup. Also, the fruit toppings are endless, I just wanted blueberries to accompany my banana, on this sunny day which made for a great pic and breakfast on my front porch!

Thanks, Lynda, for helping me! I just wanted to Pay It Forward and bless you with my words! I'm still mostly plant-based and very active!

Let me know how it turns out for ya! Now, #GoPlaywithYourFood!

2 comments:

  1. How many does this make? Did I miss that part?

    ReplyDelete
  2. With only 1/2 cup of oats, this recipe makes one large pancake. However, experiment with adding the whole banana and additional oats for 2 thicker, yet smaller pancakes. Let me know how it turns out...especially if you're making it for the whole family. I've never made a large batch.

    ReplyDelete