Friday, July 18, 2014

Zucchini Bisque

My neighbors and friends passed along veggies from their gardens. With a good supply of bountiful zucchinis and needing inspiration, I turned to my equally bountiful supply of cookbooks. I'm still working my way through Forks Over Knives and discovered Zucchini Bisque. I have plenty of zucs in case this doesn't go so well.

But, it did go well! I really thought the bisque was good. My hubby was not as thrilled. It's not everyday people crave the zuc as soup. I'm a little joyous about the nutmeg coming through. And, the lemon zest adds the sunshine. I froze the rest for this winter when I'm longing for the fresh taste of summer.

For this recipe you will need either an immersion blender or a regular blender to zip down the cooked veggies into a pureé. If using the countertop blender, be sure to hold the lid in place with a towel.

Zucchini Bisque
(page 89, Forks Over Knives)

1 medium Yellow Onion, peeled and finely chopped
4 medium Zucchini, finely chopped (I removed the seeds. They're no fun to eat.)
2 cups Vegetable Stock/Broth
1/2 teaspoon Thyme (I used what I had on-hand, dried.)
1/4 Nutmeg
Zest from one Lemon
1 cup Unsweetened Plain Almond Milk (Or any milk or cream.)
S&P, to taste
**optional: olive oil
  • Sauté onion in a large saucepan over medium heat 7-8 minutes or until onions are tender. Use either the dry sauté method with 1-2 tablespoons of water, at a time to keep onions from sticking to the pan OR use the same amount of olive oil.
  • Add zucs, veggie stock, thyme, nutmeg and lemon zest and cook until zucs are tender.
  • Pureé soup using the immersion blender or in smaller batches in the countertop blender.
  • Return pureé to pot, add milk and salt and pepper. 
  • Cook until heated through.

Serve hot with croutons or a crusty bread!

No comments:

Post a Comment