Tuesday, March 25, 2014

2-on-Tuesday: Corn Chowder

I can hardly wait for fresh summer veggies! Nothin' tastes like a homegrown tomato! The flavors are more intense. Heirlooms are available. And, I love supporting my local farmer! Once things start ripening, head down to your local Farmers Market --take cash-- and smell and taste your country-side!

At one time, I had an entire shelf in my freezer loaded down with gallon bags of Ripley Tomatoes from Ripley, Tennessee!

I pushed the season with this recipe from Forks Over Knives, but soups and chowders make me smile and so settled for frozen, fresh and canned to triple the recipe and serve this thick offering at our LifeNet Life Group at church. My hubby said he needed some extra spice. With the left-overs, I added a can of Rotel Tomatoes & Chilies!

Corn Chowder
(page 93, Forks Over Knives) **Below is the single recipe. I tripled it for my group!**

2  Onions, peeled & diced
2 Red Bell peppers, seeded and diced
3 ears of Corn, kernels removed (about 2 cups) Go for frozen or canned until fresh is available!
3 cloves Garlic, peeled and minced
2 large Russet Potatoes, diced (Rarely do I peel my taters.)
1 1/2 lbs Tomatoes (about 4-5 medium), diced (I went with the darkest Roma and slicing toms.)
6 cups Veggie Stock (available in the grocery store)
3/4 cup Fresh Basil, finely chopped
S&P, to taste
**optional: Rotel Tomatoes & Chilies

  • In a large pot, sauté onions and peppers over medium heat for 10-15 minutes using either the dry sauté method or using a little plant-based oil.
  • Add corn and garlic. Sauté 5 more minutes.
  • Add potatoes, tomatoes and veggie stock. Bring mixture to a boil over high heat and reduce heat to medium and cook uncovered for 25-30 minutes or until potatoes are fork-tender.
  • Pureé half of the soup --in batches-- in either a blender or a food processor (which I used) with a tight-fitting lid, covered with a towel.
  • Return the pureéd soup to the pot with the remaining un-pureéd soup.
  • Add basil and seasonings.
  • Enjoy with great bread or crackers!

This is not an exact science. If you love the flavor of more onions or garlic, go for it! If you like your chowder soupier, thin it down with extra veggie stock or water OR blend less than half of the soup. Go play with your food and eat healthy!

No comments:

Post a Comment