Monday, July 7, 2014

Adding Value

While social media tends to pander our self-regard with everything from mundane to once-in-a-lifetime events, let's consider shifting the focus toward others. I am just as indulgent as the next vegetarian in sharing what was on my all-day menu for #MeatlessMonday.

Hey, Jack, what's wrong with posting innumerable pix of cute puppies and baby elephants? Nothing, I say! Absolutely nothing!

I'm issuing a challenge -of sorts- to all you bloggers, Facebookers, Instagramers, Tweeters, Viners, Tumblr-ites and YouTubertarians to add value to your followers. Make it for a day. Make it for a week. Make it your next big milestone post!

What does that look like?

Welpst...it looks like encouraging with words and photos, "likes," asking questions, offering helpful hints and posting about something that benefits the locals or those with similar interests. Avoid cutting remarks or even responding to negativity with negativity where all of social media can see. 

Remember, emotion and voice inflection do not carry through posts, unless you use "!!!" and ALL CAPS!!!! Typically a person will read a response using their own filter. If I have a cynical disposition, chances are I will read a post viewed through my pessimistic filter. 

People struggle on a daily basis with everyday stuff. Let's, You & I, not subtract from our online friends' esteem. Instead, let's be the bright spot elevating them and adding value to their lives. You don't have to be a know-it-all, simply defer to another.

Whether we have 20 or 200,000 followers, we can add value with our platforms.

Here's to #sharingselfies! Join me?

No comments:

Post a Comment