|(served in my grandma's china)|
Somewhere amid her cookbooks and notebooks and recipe box with cards dating back to before I was born, Mom found this. The flavors just work and, because we are a Lou'siana family, we add fresh Gulf Shrimp! No leftovers, guaranteed.
Orzo & Roasted Veggie Bake
1 lb/bunch Asparagus, trimmed to 1" pieces (do not use the fibrous, woody cut-end)
3 Bell Peppers, diced - red, green and orange makes a dish tasty to the eyes
6 Green Onions OR 1 Vidalia Onion, diced
1 medium Zucchini, round-sliced
1 cup Grape Tomatoes, whole, OR Cherry Toms, halved
4 T Olive Oil, divided
1-2 cloves of Garlic, crushed or minced
1 tablespoon Greek or Italian Seasoning
S&P, to taste
1 cup dry Orzo (I found whole wheat, but have used the other, too)
2 cups Vegetable Broth
3/4 cup Feta Cheese, crumbled
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Prep veggies. Toss well with 2 T of Olive Oil, garlic, seasoning, S&P.
- Roast seasoned veggies on parchment or Silpat (easy cleaning) for 30 minutes or until tender.
- While veggies roast, sauté dry orzo in remaining olive oil in a large sauté pan or skillet until brown. This gives the orzo a nutty, earthy flavor. The process reminded me of the old Rice-a-Roni!
- Add broth, bring to boil, reduce heat to low, cover with lid cooking until liquid is absorbed.
- Add cooked orzo to roasted veggies (and shrimp, if
- Pour into a large casserole dish.
- Sprinkle Feta cheese over top. Cover with foil.
- Bake 30-ish minutes, making sure shrimp is cooked.
- Serve hot with an extra sprinkling of Feta + a good Olive Bread and seasoned olive oil for dipping!
**Swap in any veggies you prefer: Diced Butternut squash, Brussel Sprouts, Parsnips or Carrots!
**Omitting the shrimp and Feta makes this vegan or Plant-based.
**Let your taste create a new dish with the meat of your choice, but you'll need to know when to add the meat.
**Our side was Graber Olives from California. I found them, again, in Tennessee at The Fresh Martket!
Play with your food!
What's your take on this recipe?
Have you ever served dipping olive oil?